- Initial work experience in the field of international research co-operation, strategic research planning and technology policy while serving in Norwegian ministries and research councils (1987-93).
- From 1993, four years in Brussels, working in and for the European Commission in matters of education and training; first in the COMETT programme (university-enterprise co-operation and technology training projects), and later in the European Commission unit for vocational training policy (1995-98).
- 1999-2001, at the EU Institute for Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre in Seville, notably working on a feasibility study to set up a web portal for lifelong learning resources.
- When working as researcher at Fafo, Institute for Labour Social Research, (2003-2011), co-edited a background report on demand and supply mechanisms in Norwegian further and continuing education.
- Also co-edited the in itinerere evaluation of the Competence Development Project, forming part of a Norwegian reform for lifelong learning.
- Co-ordinated Fafo’s contribution to two projects financed by the EU research framework Programme, “LLL2010: Towards a Lifelong Learning Society in Europe: The Contribution of the Education System” and “EURONE&T: Towards the European Society: challenges for education and training policies and research arising from the European integration and enlargement“.
- Since 2002, continuous assessments of proposals from various strands of the EU Lifelong learning programme (Leonardo da Vinci, Jean Monnet, Key activity 4 on dissemination and exploitation). Concerning the latter experience, between 2002 and 2008 member of the “Expert Group on Valorisation” of programmes administered by European Commission services for Education and Culture.
- Since 2014, assessments of proposals submitted to the EU programme Erasmus+; both centralised actions handled by the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA) in Brussels and the Norwegian national Erasmus+ Agency (DIKU). O. B. Ure has then assessed proposals for Knowledge Alliances between universities and enterprises as well as Strategic Partnerships, particulary partnerships for vocational training at all educational levels.
- From 2014, assessments of proposals to the EU’s research programme Horizon 2020 (Science with and for Society), including International Traning Networks.
- Reviewing articles for the following scientific journals: European Journal of Education; International Journal for Research in Vocational Education and Traning; International Journal of Lifelong Education; Vocations and Learning (cf. https://publons.com/researcher/1631320/odd-bjorn-ure/).
Education and training
|1978||Preliminary courses at the University of Bergen|
|1978-80||Intermediate subject (political) philosophy.|
|1980-82||Intermediate subject: public administration and organisational theory|
|late-82||Intermediate subject at elementary level: political sciences (economics, sociology, comparative politics).|
|1983-84||Main subject-> honours degree in public administration and organisational theory.|
|1984||” Arbeidsdeling og interesseorganisering i norsk verkstedsindustri. Om framveksten av verkstedsindustriell forskning i etterkrigstiden".*(Thesis for honours degree. Translation of the title into English: "Division of labour and organised interests in the Norwegian engineering industries. The evolution of engineering research after the 2nd world war”.)
|• Name and type of organisation providing education and training||University of Bergen (a Norwegian state university)|
|• Principal subjects/occupational |
|Public administration and organisational theory
To achieve an honours degree: write a thesis based on extensive interviews and on analysis of data as well as written material. Combine theory and methodology throughout the work.
|• Title of qualification awarded||Cand. polit.|
|• Level in national classification||Master in political sciences|