- Initial work experience in the field of international research co-operation, strategic research planning and technology policy while serving in Norwegian ministries and research councils (1987-93).
- From 1993, four years in Brussels, working in and for the European Commission in matters of education and training; first in the COMETT programme (university-enterprise co-operation and technology training projects), and later in the European Commission unit for vocational training policy (1995-98).
- 1999-2001, at the EU Institute for Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre in Seville, notably working on a feasibility study to set up a web portal for lifelong learning resources.
- When working as researcher at Fafo, Institute for Labour Social Research, (2003-2011), co-edited a background report on demand and supply mechanisms in Norwegian further and continuing education.
- Also co-edited the in itinerere evaluation of the Competence Development Project, forming part of a Norwegian reform for lifelong learning.
- Co-ordinated Fafo’s contribution to two projects financed by the EU research framework Programme, “LLL2010: Towards a Lifelong Learning Society in Europe: The Contribution of the Education System” and “EURONE&T: Towards the European Society: challenges for education and training policies and research arising from the European integration and enlargement“.
- Since 2002, continuous assessments of proposals from various strands of the EU Lifelong learning programme (Leonardo da Vinci, Jean Monnet, Key activity 4 on dissemination and exploitation). Concerning the latter experience, between 2002 and 2008 member of the “Expert Group on Valorisation” of programmes administered by European Commission services for Education and Culture.
- Since 2014, assessments of proposals submitted to the EU programme Erasmus+; both centralised actions handled by the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA) in Brussels and the Norwegian national Erasmus+ Agency (DIKU). O. B. Ure has then assessed proposals for Knowledge Alliances between universities and enterprises as well as Strategic Partnerships, particulary partnerships for vocational training at all educational levels.
- From 2014, assessments of proposals to the EU’s research programme Horizon 2020 (Science with and for Society), including International Traning Networks and European Universities – Research&Innovation pilots.
- Reviewing articles for the following scientific journals: European Journal of Education; International Journal for Research in Vocational Education and Traning; International Journal of Lifelong Education; International Journal of Public Administration; Vocations and Learning (cf. https://publons.com/researcher/1631320/odd-bjorn-ure/).
- Reviewing abstracts of conference papers to VETNET, which is one of the networks around which the European Conference on Educational Research (ECER) is set up. This network, devoted to vocational education and training, has its own programme at ECER 2020. Abstracts of the conference papers are evaluated by researchers before the papers are presented at the 2020 event, this year held in Glasgow.
Education and training
|1978||Preliminary courses at the University of Bergen|
|1978-80||Intermediate subject (political) philosophy.|
|1980-82||Intermediate subject: public administration and organisational theory|
|late-82||Intermediate subject at elementary level: political sciences (economics, sociology, comparative politics).|
|1983-84||Main subject-> honours degree in public administration and organisational theory.|
|1984||” Arbeidsdeling og interesseorganisering i norsk verkstedsindustri. Om framveksten av verkstedsindustriell forskning i etterkrigstiden".*(Thesis for honours degree. Translation of the title into English: "Division of labour and organised interests in the Norwegian engineering industries. The evolution of engineering research after the 2nd world war”.)
|• Name and type of organisation providing education and training||University of Bergen (a Norwegian state university)|
|• Principal subjects/occupational |
|Public administration and organisational theory
To achieve an honours degree: write a thesis based on extensive interviews and on analysis of data as well as written material. Combine theory and methodology throughout the work.
|• Title of qualification awarded||Cand. polit.|
|• Level in national classification||Master in political sciences|